Monday, March 08, 2004

I Remember

I Remember
Copyright 2004 (C) Robert Blezard.

It’s like I’m still standing there.
The driveway seemed shorter,
Then the first time I was there.
Of course, it had been summer then,
The trees were green, alive.
Not sleeping on a cold evening in February.
The driveway had been lined with cars that day.
I remember…

A picnic table… there it is.
The house… seemed larger the first time.
A wooden porch… looks worn and old now.
Cat… more than one.
A path… surrounded by green and flowers.
A pool built into a deck… in the back.
But most of all… I remember the view.
I remember…

Trees spread in every direction.
A meshwork of green and brown,
That captivated my soul…
Or at least what was left of it.
It was at that moment that I knew,
I never had a chance.
My heart would never leave this place.
I remember…

It wasn’t the view I loved.
No, that was just the final nail.
And here I was again,
Standing in front of the house.
A message went from hand to porch.
I did not go to the back.
I did not have to see it.
I remember.

No comments: