Thursday, September 16, 2004

A few more poetic transfers...


Night of my Mind
Copyright 2004 (C) Robert Blezard

The darkness around me while I sleep.
Does not compare with the shadows of my mind.
Follow me now into those shadows.
My soul runs through a darkened landscape.
Yet no real life lives here.
Headstones, shallow graves and desolation,
Consumes the soil.
Horror and evil wanders the shadows.
Dying over and over again each night.
Resurrected by pain.
It runs to free itself.
Through countless fields of torment,
And endless hills of haunted dreams.
I pray it can outrun the darkness. It cannot.

How do you outrun your own darkness?
My soul feels the darkness take control.
It collapses to the barren ground.
The chase is over.
The transformation has begun.
Its breathing grows heavy,
An eerie glow consumes the eyes,
A low growl passes through its lips.
The ground shifts and cracks,
My soul transforms,
The bones crack and flesh tears.
Wicked claws, course hair,
Jagged teeth, form of the beast.
The soul body reforms,
Into what even the shadows fear.
The creature.

It is the master of the darkness of my mind.
It howls its defiance to the shadows.
Smoke billows as it breathes.
Fire burns in its core.
It calls forth its prey.
Millions of the dead,
Crawl from the gravescape.
It howls again.
The dead memories of the past,
Shiver in fear.
It is their own fault that it hunts them.
They created it.
They gave it form and purpose.
Every time a harsh word was whispered.
Every time wicked laughter stole joy.
Every time a cold shoulder killed love.
Dark power.

It begins its hunt.
Mercilessly tearing through the memories.
Good or bad, it doesn’t matter anymore.
The night screams.
Now it is their turn to run.
None will escape this night,
They never do.
And beyond the shadow lands of my mind.
My sleeping form shivers and moans,
In the darkness that surrounds my unrest.
The nightmares will be vivid this night.
My heart races with each death of memory.
The beast inside roars and the body thrashes.
And again and again,
All night, every night,
For as long as I can remember,
The beast has stalked the darkness,
Killing my past,
In the night of my mind.

Remember Shadows
Copyright 2004 (C) Robert Blezard
I found myself in the shadows, staring out at the place.
Why do I come here?
It’s late, past midnight I think…
I went to the 7-11 to get some pop.
And then I found myself across the street from it.
Oh sure, I’ve been back…
But I’ve never seen her once…
I don’t want to see her… do I?
I guess there’s a little part of me that misses her.
A middle aged couple walk by.
And then I realize that I should leave.
But I don’t…

I cross the street towards the back of the building.
I run my hand along the cement.
I walk around to the other side.
And lean against the building.
I take a drink from the Sunny D I bought, like it.
I close my eyes.
And remember…
I should have stayed.
No, I never should have taken the job in the first place.
She was everything to me.
And yet, I didn’t really know her…
Not like I should have.
Damn, why do I do this to myself, it isn’t worth it.
She never cared.
I should leave.
But I don’t…

I wait and drink my juice and then I wait some more.
Time passes, I don’t know how long.
I think I cried, I don’t remember.
Then... I left.

Shadow Dancer
Copyright 2004 (C) Robert Blezard
The lights, the smoke, the stage,
The show will begin shortly.
Coke for me, beer for my friend.
This is his night out.
I’m just here for the show.
Tight bodies on the unattainable,
Women of the stage,
Dancers or strippers,
Call them what you will.
Tonight they are all goddesses.
Why do they do it?
Maybe for fame, or for money.
But tonight they dance for me.
Oh, I have no allusions,
Only my senses to guide me.
Each will be as spectacular as the last.
I wonder…

Why are there so many women,
Who are completely unattainable?
And not just here in this place,
But everywhere,
At every moment in time.

The announcer breaks the music,
Another beauty for the stage,
Too lure money away from the masses.
Men hoot and holler,
Some women in the crowd as well.
It just shows,
How much our world has changed.
The dancer is haunting and yet distant.
Tall, blonde, dressed in black,
She is confident in her walk.
I am mesmerized,
She is willful in her movement.
Seductive and arrogant,
Tender, yet fierce.
A woman who has lived her way,
And made hard choices in her life.
I wonder…

How did she become this goddess?
So feminine and yet edged,
Like a masterwork sword.
This form in the night,
This… Shadow Dancer.

No comments: